Adding variant subtag 'erzgeb' for Erzgebirgisch

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:48:36 CEST 2009

I'm sending this again as it did not go through:

Hi.
Obviously however [vmf] and [sxu] both are Germanic languages, so a prefix of [gem] would not be inaccurate; it would just not be that specific; it would not be fictitious
{oops; I meant 'specific'}

and it would be fine to use it were there no other prefix available.  However I must defer to you; it would not be that useful in matching.  On the other hand, a prefix of  [de] is specific; using it as a prefix lets users retrieve documents in German when documents in the target language/dialect (Erzgebirgisch) are not available, as I understand things.  This may be linguistically inaccurate, but it is expedient.  Correct me if I am wrong.
In any case we no longer have to wait on new subtags; we now have two new subtags to choose from; I know nothing about the language and nothing about German; from the evidence I saw at Wikipedia and Ethnologue I think I'd favor [sxu] but maybe that is an inaccurate prefix; I would prefer that the German linguists and speakers hammer this one out.

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Aug 12 04:58:09 CEST 2009

I believe I said "if."  Sorry if it did not come out sounding that way. Best, C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com