Adding variant subtag 'erzgeb' for Erzgebirgisch

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 12 20:31:09 CEST 2009

Hi -

No, it would be semantically anomalous.  Please read the many posts
of what it means to use a collection code like 'gem' in tagging.

> I know nothing about the language and nothing about German;
> from the evidence I saw at Wikipedia and Ethnologue I think I'd favor
> [sxu] but maybe that is an inaccurate prefix; I would prefer that the
> German linguists and speakers hammer this one out.

Looking at non-Wikipedia, non-Ethnologue resources, folks
might be interested in the (lengthy) article published at
http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/a-reworking-of-german-language-classification-part-2-middle-german/
(search for Erzgebirgsich for the relevant sections) even
though it references discussion from this list.

For a sample of some Erzgebirgisch text take a look at
http://www.godemann.de/Regionales/Arzgebirg/arzgebirg.html

Randy