[RTW] New proposed charter text. Please review before the BoF.

Cullen Jennings fluffy at cisco.com
Tue Mar 22 04:15:44 CET 2011

So at one point we had some text along the lines of the proposed

    "Solutions that require mediation functions to achieve interoperation might be acceptable, provided such functions are not unduly complex, expensive or detrimental to performance."

But I think that sort of text does not turns out to be useful in a charter. It is so vague and ambiguous that it does not guide the work. So lets dig into the things that might guide the work and see what we could do in a charter.

Clearly we need extensibility and ways of negotiating new things. There many points were we need extensibility but video codecs are one of them. Twelve years down the road, its highly likely that there will be new codecs in browsers beyond what we have today - who knows, perhaps they will do 3D. Clearly we need a way for an browser application to find out which codecs that browser supports then use that for negotiation. But, in as Henning nicely put it, to avoid failure of negotiation, we need some minimal set of things all browsers have.

With something like crypto algorithms for SRTP, the odds are good we can easily find something that was both acceptable to browsers and was widely supported by legacy voip equipment that does SRTP. With something like narrowband audio codecs it gets harder, but it is probably possible to come to something workable for a many cases. Phone BCP did. As you point out, video in some way has the highest cost of interoperability failure, but the bad news is that unfortunately legacy voip equipment already has widespread interoperability failure on video codec choices. Probably the most prevalent codec in interactive sessions is H.263 but much of the new equipment does not support that. Even the equipment that supports H.264 AVC (ignoring SVC), there are so many variants that much of the H.264 systems have no common way of interoperating with other H.264 systems. To have widespread support for legacy video equipment, browsers would have to implement a lot of codecs and profiles. H.265 is slated to be completed before I would expect this work to be deployed in the bulk of browser. Then there is the MPEG work on codecs that proponents hope will be royalty free. Not to mention some other obvious candidates that are widely used. GIven the lack of a common video codec in existing legacy equipment, I don't see how this working group could fix that. However, I think this working group needs to pick something that ensure that equipment compliant with specifications from the proposed WG does not suffer from the same video interoperability failure as legacy equipment.

On the topic of what will be the hardest point of interoperability with legacy systems, I think it will be ICE like connectivity check issues. Every proposal I have seen so far has solved the problem of authorizing where the browser can send packets RTP by some connectivity check scheme such as ICE. However, ICE is not implemented the major of legacy voip equipment and I think this will end up being the biggest factor reducing what legacy equipment can work. Someone in the working group might think of a clever way to avoid this problem but I have not herd one yet.

I want the charter to clearly allows the WG to figure out the right way to map to existing SIP systems. To do this, I think the browser has to be able to report what codecs and other extensibility options it supports then allow the application to influence what gets used to allow negotiation with the far end. In my mind, the current charter, particularly point 5 and 6, provide that.

With regards to backwards compatibility with legacy voip systems, it's going to be a balance with tradeoffs.  We can't have a charter that says everything must support all legacy devices because the legacy device can't even talk to all other legacy devices. I want the WG to be able to make these decision and have consensus the balance right before publishing the specifications that would come out of the WG. But making theses choices is the work in this working group is largely about.

The WG needs to define an architecture that allows the sort of long term extensibility that David mentioned while at the same time make sure that systems compliant with the work can done suffer from interoperability failures. From my point of view the current charter would give the WG the room to make theses choices.

Cullen