[RTW] New proposed charter text. Please review before the BoF.

Roni Even ron.even.tlv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 08:46:57 CEST 2011

Cullen,
I support your view that negotiation is required not only to support
interoperability with current systems using different codec but also for
future codecs support. I just want to bring past experience of H.323 where a
mandatory video codec was defined (H.261 which was the codec used at the
time) and caused a burden on developers later that had to support it even
though it was not widely used just for compliance. My view is that selecting
a mandatory codec is difficult but removing it from being mandatory when it
becomes a burden is even more difficult.

Another experience on choosing a video codec is that not only new codecs are
developed but the codec itself can evolve adding higher capabilities that
may require negotiation allowing the sender to send a higher quality video
stream. So selecting a codec and more precisely an operation point of a
codec with no good negotiation may not be a good choice.
Thanks
Roni Even