Ownership and "cross-licensing" of protocols by working groups

Alistair.Urie at alcatel.com Alistair.Urie at alcatel.com
Mon Oct 13 16:19:56 CEST 2003

Brian,
I tend to agree with you on this.  I was very worried about the -03 draft
on this issue and had proposed changes to section 2.2. and 2.3.  These are
now, more or less, included in the 04 draft so I think we now need to move
forward on fixing the problem since it is now captured well enough in the
problem-statement I-D.

As far as solving the problem of dependencies (both between WGs and between
IETF and other SDOs) I would be VERY concerned about a solution that is
based on "should _never_ try to use a protocol for which it does not own
complete change control" since this implies that other SDOs should "never
try to work with IETF" and likewise, other SDOs should stop trying to work
with the IETF.

A better, and more scalable, solution should be based on a mutual agreement
on what is needed to be changed, why this is the correct route and when
will the outputs (=RFC publication!) be expected.  In other words, a way of
formally agreeing that A is dependent on the work of B and that B both
recognises this dependency and committs to deliver on time.

That is, a "WG should never try to use a protocol for which it hasn't reach
an agreement with the originating group"

By the way, there are really two types of dependencies: Loose and Tight

1) Loose dependencies are ones that simply say the A recommends to use the
next version of B.  B agrees to do the extension but A doesn't really need
to know the details of how it is done.  This type of dependency is
basically covered by an agreement on release date (in time or not for A)
and reference (what does A write in its output to mean "the next release of
B")

2 ) Tight dependencies are ones where A is building directly on the work of
B and its own output needs to be adjusted after B completes its work.  This
type of dependency is more complex and often the work of A can be made more
or less difficult if B choses to implement the extension in one way or
another and so a system level design may be needed if we are to optimise
the overal solution.

- alistair

                      Brian E Carpenter
                      <brc at zurich.ibm.com>                 To:      problem-statement at alvestrand.no
                      Sent by:                             cc:
                      problem-statement-bounces at al         Subject: Re: Ownership and "cross-licensing" of protocols by working groups
                      vestrand.no

                      07/10/2003 15:46

Getting back to Charlie's point (because we *can't* reform other bodies,
but we *can* reform the IETF), isn't this in fact the same point that
is made in section 2.3:

>    o  The IETF is not consistently effective at resolving issues that
>       cross WG or area boundaries.
>
>    o  The IETF does not posess effective formal mechanisms for inter-WG
>       cooperation, coordination or communication, including the handling
>       of dependencies between deliverables and processes specified in in
>       WG charters.
>
>    o  The IETF does not have an effective means for defining
>       architectures and frameworks that will shape the work of multiple
>       WGs.

   Brian

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> Dear Graham,
>
> In my opinion, the real danger isn't another standards body planning
> extensions to IETF protocols, it's another standards body dorking with
> IETF protocols. The problem with SIP and 3GPP wasn't that 3GPP
> extended SIP, it was that one group had headers classified as
> mandatory that the other did not, so that an application that was
> conformant for one group might send a request that an application
> conformant for the other group would consider malformed.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I agree that if we solve some of the IETF
> problems, we'll probably get more work than if we don't, and that's
> especially true of the problem of committed interdependencies. I'm
> saying that the problem with interdependencies isn't just that
> interdependencies are harder, it's that interoperability is
> jeopardized.
>
> Spencer

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

NEW ADDRESS <brc at zurich.ibm.com> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK