New version (04) of Problem Issue Document on its way

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Tue Oct 14 19:25:56 CEST 2003

My apologies for being so late in picking this up -- and my
surprise that no one else has.

My small excuse is that I am more comfortable raising it now
that the person whose situation causes the comment is apparently
on the road to a full recovery, for which I am personally very
grateful.

Problem:   We have procedures for replacing an IESG member who
resigns or otherwise becomes permanently unavailable.  We have
no mechanism for dealing with the situation of an IESG member
who, due to illness or some other serious personal or
professional condition, becomes unavailable for an extended
period.   It is unreasonable, and probably not in the IETF's
best interest, to ask a person in that situation to step down.
It is equally unreasonable to ask a co-AD, or someone else on
the IESG, to pick up the load for an extended period of time
(even though some co-ADs have done it, for which we should all
be very grateful).

So I suggest (this is a pointer, not a proposed solution) that
we need to think about a mechanism by which, if an AD becomes
temporarily incapacitated for a time and to a degree that the
AD, or a co-AD, or the IESG (details to be worked out as part of
the solution), anticipates will be problematic, a temporary
replacement or can be selected and seated.  If the disability is
only partial (i.e., the AD can fulfill some, but not all, of his
or her duties), there should be some way to select and seat an
assistant or stand-in.

I have no idea whether similar rules should be available for IAB
members, but I suspect so.

regards,
   john