OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu May 22 15:01:56 CEST 2003

[list bcc'ed to encourage the thread to terminate.]

> > (ask yourself: why is it so easy for viruses to propagate by email?)
>
> Because of buggy programs that execute code in email messages, which
> has exactly zero to do with SMTP, POP or IMAP.

It has a lot to do with the way MIME is implemented.

Hint: there's a reason we didn't use filename suffixes as content-types
and expect operating systems to use the same dispatch tables as they
would do for local files.  There's also a reason we required a security
considerations section for content-type registration.