what are the real problems

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed May 21 12:08:23 CEST 2003

<personal opinion>

a tiny error in an initial trajectory adds up to large errors at
the target.  errors in the statement(s) of our problems will
therefore produce irrelevant, or worse damaging, solutions.  hence,
it is critical that we get the set of statements of problems very
very correct, and very clear.

what are problems anyway?  i propose they are conditions which
hamper our ability to reach our goals.

but what are our goals?  for the moment, i will put forth the
following goals which were stated (far too quietly) in london and
then a couple of times afterwards (again, far too quietly):

   the ietf's goal is to produce high quality, relevant, and timely
   standards for internet technology.

so, for any statement of a problem, i would suggest that it be made
very clear how it is a root, or close to root, cause of damage to
achieving our goals.  i submit that, by doing so, we would have
much more confidence in a good problems statement, and have an
excellent foundation on which to build the next level, the changes
we need to make to better meet our goals by solving those problems.

if a problem can not be shown to pretty directly affect our goals,
then perhaps it is the result of other more root problems, people's
personal issue, ...

randy