OPEN ISSUE: Nomcom Process

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 16 14:11:09 CEST 2003

> > I am not sure whether it's reasonable for noncom to disclose the
> > list of parties under consideration.  On one hand it would invite
> > wider public feedback about specific individuals, which would help
> > avoid unpleasant surprises.  On the other hand it would expose
> > would-be candidates to potential "loss of face" at not being chosen
> > - and invite comparison to those who were chosen - even if the
> > reason for that particular choice turned out to be unrelated to the
> > candidates' technical or personal qualifications.
>
> Somehow I'm imagining that anyone with enough experience
> and management skills to be a good AD should also have enough
> experience and stability to be able to handle rejection.

oh, I agree.  actually I almost said in the earlier message that you
need a fairly tough skin to be a good AD anyway - you *will* get sharply
criticized no matter what decisions you make or how good they are.  but
at least once you are an AD you get the prestige of the AD job as
compensation.  and "rejection" isn't always a good description of the
the reason that another candidate is chosen- though it will widely
be assumed to be the reason.

put it this way - there are already enough barriers to discourage
potential IESG (and to some extent IAB) candidates.  do you want to
narrow the pool of available candidates even further?

Keith