OPEN ISSUE: WG Chair Selection

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Thu May 15 12:47:42 CEST 2003

Currently, the process document says:

>We may also want to reconsider the process that is used to select
>WG chairs. In particular, ADs could be encouraged to announce WG
>chair openings within their areas and/or to identify and develop
>more potential leaders.  [OPEN ISSUE: Is there IETF consensus that
>we have a problem in this area?]

I don't think that we should change our official procedures
in this area.

I do think it would be good if ADs would communicate open WG
chairs slots to the community and request input regarding
potential candidates.

However, it is important for ADs and WG chairs to have a good
relationship, and for the AD to have authority over the WG
chair.  I believe that the current reporting relationship
(AD chooses WG chair, chair serves at ADs pleasure) is
appropriate.

Margaret