OPEN ISSUE: Nomcom Process

Charles E. Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Fri May 16 10:21:26 CEST 2003

Keith Moore wrote:

> I am not sure whether it's reasonable for noncom to disclose the list of
> parties under consideration.  On one hand it would invite wider public
> feedback about specific individuals, which would help avoid unpleasant
> surprises.  On the other hand it would expose would-be candidates to
> potential "loss of face" at not being chosen - and invite comparison
> to those who were chosen - even if the reason for that particular choice
> turned out to be unrelated to the candidates' technical or personal
> qualifications.

Somehow I'm imagining that anyone with enough experience
and management skills to be a good AD should also have enough
experience and stability to be able to handle rejection.
What about all the IEEE and other organizations, where
candidates sometimes lose?  What makes IETF special in
this matter?

I think we should enable community input to nomcom about
all nominees.  To be fair, though, I am sure that the
nomcom _does_ get input about returning IESG members.

Regards,
Charlie P.