OPEN ISSUE: Quality Process WG Charter

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Fri May 16 05:57:23 CEST 2003

Hi Harald,

At 10:40 PM 5/15/2003 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>timing issue.....
>
>is the creation of the Quality WG dependent on IETF consensus on the
>Problem and Process documentson this WG?
>If yes - the WG cannot be started until after Vienna.
>If no - the WG process can be started as soon as there appears to be
>reasonable consensus that the WG should be formed. It seems reasonable to
>expect that the WG could start before this WG produces its final output.

IMO, we should start the near-term efforts described in this document
(all four of them) as soon as there is community consensus to start
them.  In fact, at least two of them are already underway.

I don't think that the problem-statement group should cause a delay
in our efforts to improve outselves.

>identity issue....
>
>is this WG in parallel to, in cooperation with, or orthogonal to, the
>proposal to form a WG (that is, an activity with a charter) focusing on
>training/education/leader development for the IETF?

There are four near-term efforts identified in the document that
can proceed immediately and in parallel:

         - WG quality processes (the WG you're talking about).
         - Training/Education (this is only defined as an
                 "effort" in the document, not explicitly as
                 a WG -- that discussion didn't start until
                 after I published the document).
         - Identifying/deploying tools for issue tracking and
                 document revision control.
         - Promoting/increasing communication between WG chairs.

Hopefully all of the near-term efforts will spin-up while we are
still trying to define and start the longer-term effort which
will:

         - Improve the scalability and effectiveness of the
                 management structure of the IETF (i.e.
                 reorganize).
         - Update the standards-track document processes to
                 be more effective and timely.

If you've read the document carefully and this is unclear, please
let me know, so that I can attempt to make it clearer.

Thanks,
Margaret