Refelective Listening

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Wed May 7 09:55:05 CEST 2003

One thing I have noticed is that it is important for IETF participants
to do what I believe is called "reflective listening".  What this means
is that a participant needs to listen to a statement or discussion
carefully before responding and consider that which they are responding
to more than what they are thinking and want to say.

Erik Nordmark, Scott Bradner, Bob Hinden, Harald Alvestrand are good
examples of participants that do this as a note.  Esp Erik.  Erik will
sit there and listen and I know when he walks up to the microphone he
has "heard" the discussion in a reflective manner.

Get 30 people in a room not doing reflective listening or one aggressive
AD and you have big problems, we are experiencing.

/jim