modest suggestion for how to proceed

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Mar 25 10:37:17 CET 2003

I believe that in order to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the
problem(s) facing IETF we are going to need to make an informed
assessment of each aspect of IETF's operation.   If we don't look
specifically at each piece we run the risk of neglecting serious
problem areas when trying to map out a solution.  Indeed, we seem to be
heading in that direction.

I therefore suggest that we form committees, analogous to design teams,
to look specifically at problems with WG operation, problems with IESG
operation, and problems with IAB operation.  Each committee needs to
also consider problems in the interactions between its area of concern
and the others, even though this will cause some overlap.

In considering WG operation it would be appropriate to treat each area
separately, because different areas operate differently and are subject
to different stresses.  This might indicate multiple committees to look
at WG operation (not necessarily one for each area).

The committees need to be populated with well-informed people, which is
to say that the IESG committee needs to have some (say about half)
current or former IESG members, and similarly for the IAB.   Each
committee should be tasked with writing a section of a document that
describes the problems in its area of concern, the initial draft to be
completed in 60 days.