ineffective use of meeting time

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Mar 25 05:38:33 CET 2003

--On mandag, mars 24, 2003 16:36:28 -0800 Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net>
wrote:

> Ted,
>
> Monday, March 24, 2003, 1:23:53 AM, you wrote:
> TL> So maybe it would be helpful to break this out into two problems:
>
> TL> 1. We need a way for interested parties to discuss protocols on which
> TL> they are working, and
> TL> 2. We need a way to encourage cross-pollination between groups.
>
> TL> Possibly these two goals should be addressed in separate meetings.
>

> Is this responsive to your concern:
>
> Have an all-day session on Sunday that is divided into each Area's status
> and discussion.  These would essentially be working group summary reports,
> giving background and setting the stage for the work of the following
> week.
>
> 9am-4pm. One hour for each area. (This would overlap with some more
> basic tutorials.)
>
> It strikes me that the next level of effort, allowing more time per
> working group, adds an order of magnitude to effort and time.

we used to deliver working group status reports in plenary on Friday
morning.
It was discontinued as ineffective use of meeting time, with the commitment
that area and WG status reports would be collected and made available
online (last one I remember was in 1992 - San Diego; at the time, Tim
Berners-Lee was trying to sell the idea of the Web to a somewhat skeptical
audience....).

That commitment faded after a while....

                    Harald