ineffective use of meeting time

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Mar 24 10:30:54 CET 2003

--On mandag, mars 24, 2003 01:23:53 -0800 Ted Lemon <mellon at nominum.com>
wrote:

>> <solution-space>
>> I think we need to consider how to have discussions that are bigger
>> than working groups but smaller than the IETF.
>> </solution-space>
>
> We already have "areas."   But "areas" are probably too big, and
> currently don't have any real existence except as a way to group WGs
> together.   That is, there are no meetings.

actually most areas (at least Apps, Transport, O&M, Security, Routing) have
meetings or something filling the same function (Transport has TSVWG,
Security has SAAG).

part of the "problem" (?) - the fact that we don't have uniformity of
process means that people will suggest solutions that are already being
done in other parts of the IETF, and where the effects of doing this are
reasonably well known..... same goes for use of meeting times; it's clear
that some WGs are run far differently than others, and what one person sees
as "something that should be forbidden" is what another person sees as "we
already never do that".

but I think I have already used up my quota of postings to this list for
today (this will be #7), so I'll shut up now....

               Harald