ineffective use of meeting time

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Mon Mar 24 01:23:53 CET 2003

> <solution-space>
> I think we need to consider how to have discussions that are bigger
> than working groups but smaller than the IETF.
> </solution-space>

We already have "areas."   But "areas" are probably too big, and
currently don't have any real existence except as a way to group WGs
together.   That is, there are no meetings.

One problem with trying to shorten presentations at meetings may be
that meetings actually serve more than one purpose.   In one sense,
meetings are where colleagues get together to discuss the related
protocols they are working on.   In another sense, meetings exist so
that cross-pollination can occur.   That is, my focus tends to be DHCP,
but I should go to zeroconf and the various IPv6 meetings to stay on
top of what's going on there.   But there's no chance I'm going to be
able to read all those drafts.   A presentation helps me to figure out
if there are some drafts that I *should* read.

So maybe it would be helpful to break this out into two problems:

1. We need a way for interested parties to discuss protocols on which
they are working, and
2. We need a way to encourage cross-pollination between groups.

Possibly these two goals should be addressed in separate meetings.
For example, we might have a networking area meeting where people make
presentations about protocols they'd like people outside their group to
review.   Then in the WG meeting, people would discuss details, and
little help would be given to those who aren't up to speed on what the
working group is doing.