Documenting consensus (RE: making strategic problems concrete)

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Mon Mar 24 10:29:00 CET 2003

Hi all,

At the WG chairs lunch in San Francisco, we discussed that supporting
a common way for WGs to log & resolve issues would be a good thing.
Further more, archiving these issue lists was seen as a good thing.

Would this meet part of concerns?

As I see it, part of the problem is that determining consensus on
mailing lists is problematic, especially when there is heavy
traffic.  Further more, one (over) active poster can create an
illusion of consensus by wearing down the WG.

A potential solution would a way to track issues and document
consensus.  A number of working groups (AAA, SIP, MIP & others
which I am probably not aware of) have had good success at this.

This also provides a good place for the IESG to review the status
of documents & WGs.

br,
John