FYI ONLY Theory X, Y, Z

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Mon Mar 24 10:03:01 CET 2003

Just in case got some questions on X,Y,Z statement.

Theory X - states to employee. Do this job by X days and have it done or
your fired.  Management is on them watching each move.

Theory Y - states you're a senior person go think about it and tell me
when you can get this done.  Management permits them to work at their
own pace and awaits feedback to accommodate schedules.

These are two different management processes from our western culture.

Japan around 1993 added Theory Z which states - you're a senior person
go figure it out but our schedules require a solution by X date.

Theory Z has light addition of Theory X to Theory Y for motivation.
[to those I responded to privately first Z was Y before above and typo
sorry]

Theory Y+Z says use theory Y unless we have to meet a defined date.
This is like when the account team comes to us in engineering with an
RFP from customer that is due in two weeks.

The idea is to let the team operate with enough rope to be free but keep
the rope at some specific length so they can't hang themselves :--)

/jim