The Kobe "revolution"

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 18:30:52 CET 2003

I looked at

--- Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:>
<http://www.mids.org/pay/mn/1007/tea.html> is a pretty good
> summary
> and analysis. I'd quibble with bits of it, but quibbling isn't
> productive.

And found a few FASCINATING quotes (at least to me):

"In 1986, when the IETF was created, this made sense. The IETF
had about 20 members, and a few other IAB members chaired
committees of similar size. But by 1992, the IETF had over 500
members, while the other IAB committees had remained about the
same size."

- I'm thinking we'd be thrilled to be worried about scaling up
to 500 "members", instead of down from 1600 attendees...

(Phill Gross, IETF chair): "Gross was not an Internet Old Boy --
he had joined the Internet commmunity in the early 1980s, ten
years after the other IAB members, and the other IAB members
often viewed him as a rookie."

- I'm thinking we'd be thrilled to be worried about rookies with
only ten years of experience in the community...

"Furthermore, in a spectacular bit of bad timing, on July 9th it
was announced that the IAB had changed its name from the
Internet Activities Board to the Internet Architecture Board, in
a move widely taken to reflect an IAB view that the IETF wasn't
qualified to oversee the Internet architecture."

- Gee, it's been 48 hours since *I* made the (mistaken?)
assumption that I should be asking IAB guys for architecture
help, and not IESG guys... I honestly can't tell you WHY I would
have thought that - it's not because I don't think IESG guys are
qualified to think about architecture, that's for sure.

Dave, thanks for the pointers on perspective...