ineffective use of meeting time

Joel M. Halpern joel at stevecrocker.com
Sat Mar 22 15:22:52 CET 2003

I will admit to surprise when it took 35 minutes for one working group to
review status.
I noted several causes, all of which are relevant.
1) There were an imense number of documents on the working groups
plate.  If documents are not getting sufficient review in groups with 3
documents, then having some 20 documents seems a guarantee for insufficient
review
2) We do not train our chairs in presentation skills.  Doing that sort of
review quickly takes skill and practice.  (I actually think a brief status
review is helpful.)
3) The group is working on quite diverse topics, and so the chair had to
spend time explaining the relationship of the topics.  Again, this seems a
sign of a working group that is likely to have difficulty.

Now, to tie this back to problems:
1) We still tend to have problems of working groups with large scopes
2) We do not actually provide skills training for WG Chairs or ADs.  Both
jobs take skill.  It is not acquired by magic, and is hard to acquire by
osmosis.  The result is frequently under-trained leaders.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern