The "late surprise" problem

Ted Hardie hardie at qualcomm.com
Fri Mar 21 08:11:15 CET 2003

Brian,

This may solve a problem, but I don't think it quite addresses
the same problem I've tried to address.  It creates a review
body that would no doubt be of enormous help to the IESG,
which might speed things along.  It is, however, still very
late in the process.  Fundamentally, it is after the working
group process finishes.

I would really like us to look at the problem in the working groups.
I'm afraid the solution proposed might continue the existing problem
that
working groups do not feel empowered to make decisions.  I also think
that it might continue the issue that it will be difficult to identify
who
in a working group has committed to taking on a particular
set of work.  Though the stuckees draft talks specifically about
the review task, the problem is general.

Fundamentally, I believe that if we improve the way working
groups get their tasks done, the review task will look less
like a blocking factor.  That doesn't mean a "program committee"
style pool wouldn't be a valuable thing--it very well might.  But
I don't think it solves the same problem, and I would be very
concerned if it replaced work on making the working groups
more effective and empowered.
					best regards,
							Ted Hardie