Listing affiliations

John Morris jmorris at cdt.org
Thu Jun 26 15:27:38 CEST 2003

At 8:46 AM -0400 6/26/03, Leslie Daigle wrote:
><snip>
>A couple or few years ago, I suggested it would be helpful to have
>brief statement (or web page) about/from each IAB member, linked
>off the IAB member listing page, so that people could have a clue what areas
>of interest/expertise the various IAB members have.  It strikes
>me that would be an appropriate place to list affiliations.
>
>You can see how well the idea flew the last time I proposed it.

FWIW, in thinking about other groups or committees that perform
functions similar to some of the work of the IAB, the expert
committees of the National Research Council of the U.S. National
Academies of Science come to mind.  As a number of IABers obviously
know (since they have served on those committees), the NRC publishes
useful bios for all members of all of its committees.  See for
example
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/CommitteeDisplay/CSTB-L-99-07-A?OpenDocument

The NRC certainly has a number of legal requirements of openness that
do not apply to the IAB, but I still think that those NRC bios set a
good example for the IAB to follow.

John