rough consensus (was Re: "trouble maker")

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Wed Jun 25 15:35:00 CEST 2003

And who hears the appeal? - A committee where the individual responsible for
the abuses has audience rights and I do not.

Can you see why I might not have much confidence in that as a process?

Can you see why I might not want to take a step which is most likely to
result in the IESG simply ratifying the chair's abuses so that they can
continue to refuse to believe that there is a PROBLEM?

I have raised my complaints concerning the closed DNS directorate process
with many IESG members including the IETF chair. I was not the only person
to complain. Paul Vixie called for the chair to resign. The only result was
they had those DNS Directorate black helicopter hats made.

These were a bit funnier until Derek Attkins admitted that he had discovered
that he had been booted out of the directorate and not even been told this
had happened. If the hats had had a picture of someone being dropped
overboard they would have been much more accurate.

If we are going to have a discussion about PROBLEM then discussion of
specific failures of the process would seem to be a good starting point.

If we are ever going to get to a SOLUTION it would be good to start hearing
that others accept that I am not the only person making the complaint about
autocratic top down proceedures and that they are having a widespread
effect.

		Phill