"trouble maker"

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Wed Jun 25 08:58:45 CEST 2003

Count the votes as 12:2 or 12:9 there was a clear majority for OPT in and
the 7 who said no but were willing to stand asside for the sake of forward
progress.

However you count them a clear majority of the group believes that the
DNSSEC specs as currently defined are broken and are in need of fixing. Why
then are ANY drafts being forwarded to the IESG?

Ah that is because the establishment gets to choose what consensus is and
what consensus means. So a majority of the group believing that the spec is
undeployable does not matter because we the establishment get to choose the
questions that are asked.

The more salient point was the who was in the 12 and who was in the 9 and
the points being raised.

The 12 people were representing[*] mostly the large registries such as
dotCOM and dotDE and the software writers. Who did the 2 or 9 represent?
Mostly themselves.

So we have a situation where a minority can hold up a standard, if that is
the establishment chooses to endorse them.

This 'consensus' simply a con game that allows the establishment to ignore
any decisions of the group they dislike and act whatever sweet way they
please and cite 'consensus' as the reason. If the establishment want to they
can interpret the WG outcome as consensus.

Forgive me if I decide not to respect decisions arrived at in that manner as
'standards'.

[*]Yes I know the B/S theory that only the establishment gets to speak from
authority but that is the whole IETF problem. A bunch of unelected cronies
can speak with the authority of their lofty perches while denying everyone
else the authority that comes from the responsibility of their profession.
That is a very convenient little fiction for the establishment.

Given the massive conflict of interest the IETF now has on everything DNS by
the ISOC having decided to become a DNS registrar competitor, the lack of
accountability is a significant issue.

		Phill