rough consensus (was Re: "trouble maker")

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Thu Jun 26 03:11:01 CEST 2003

Maybe lets put this particular case aside and look at the more general
problem:

"What is rough consensus?" How rough is "rough"?

Unfortunately, this was not particular well-defined even tho it is one
of our core principle. Could we tag this as a problem in the
problem-statement?

I remember I asked this questions before when I am a newbie in IETF. The
general answer of "rough consensus" are super-super majority.

The general figure is >75%-80% but bear in mind that we dont "vote",
absolute figures isnt the way to go. We also need to take those who are
"neutral" into considering as "neutral but wont object" and "no but wont
object strongly" are important swing factor.

If we can get a rough consensus on what is "rough consensus", then
perhaps we could avoid a lot of misunderstanding.

-James Seng