"trouble maker"

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Mon Jun 23 07:04:59 CEST 2003

According to the charter of this group at, the group are looking at the
problems with "the ways IETF operates". This is not limited to structure
and processes only.

(is this an example of Problem 2.1 Participants in the IETF do not share
a common understanding of its mission?)

For wordings, I proposed to add a sub section to 2.6, as follows:

2.6.1 Vocal individual have ability to stall the rough consensus
building process

In some working groups, a vocal individual could stall the working group
progress for many months or indefinately by repeatively re-opening
closed issues. This, coupled with the threat with appeal on technical
and process ground, effectively prevented the working group chair to
declare a rough consensus on the group.

-James Seng