Document Series

Ralph Droms rdroms at cisco.com
Wed Jun 4 10:22:45 CEST 2003

My experience with DS and full Standard is that no one is interested
because of the lack of perceived difference between the requirements
between the standards levels and the lack of perceived added value
in progressing a spec to DS or full standard.  That is, I disagree
with Brian's statement about the requirements for DS and full standard
being too high - I think the problem is a lack of differentiation
among the three standards levels.

Here's how I see the standards track:
The required correctness for PS is high enough that a PS spec is
"good enough" for vendor implementation and deployment.  The
reward for moving to DS and full standard is not worth the
investment of effort.

The tension I see is the need for a specification that is
sufficiently baked and stable to be used for prototyping,
interoperability testing and proof-of-correctness for the
spec doc, but that does *not* result in deployment.  It's
the premature deployment that (a) casts goofs in the spec
in stone and (b) eliminates any motivation to move the
specification through the standards track.

- Ralph