Document Series

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Wed Jun 4 15:58:53 CEST 2003

Keith Moore wrote:

> O> My understanding is that the higher bar to PS arose as a consequence of
> > things being widely deployed at PS and things not advancing to Draft rather
> > than the deployment and non-advancement being a consequence of the high bar.
>
> that's my understanding also.
>
> > This is important in the sense that if the lack of advancement came first,
> > then simply lowering the bar will not help us get better standards, and in
> > fact could result in our ending up with lower quality documents permanently.
>
> I'm in strong agreement with this.  What we need to do is find a way for
> standards to at least the level that is currently required for PS more
> quickly, not to lower the bar for PS.

Fully agree.

> We might even need to raise the bar slightly.

Do you mean that we are frequently releasing PS documents that contain
significant defects? We certainly can't expect PS documents to be perfect.

Another problem I see is that the barrier to Standard is so high that
nobody is interested, and the barrier to DS is high enough that very
few people are interested. That being so, apart from some academic
ideals, I question the value of having 3 grades at all. Since we hardly
use the top two grades, why have them?

   Brian