Fixed font v multiple fonts

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Fri Jul 11 08:50:15 CEST 2003

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> Lars does not have the right to impose his decision on me.

And you have the right to impose your decision on him?

For one who advocate "openness and democratic", I expect you to have
more tolerance for differences in opinions.

ps: For a person working on IDN and other I18N issues in IETF, I think
that ASCII format has its limitation. Perhaps something along this?
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

> I am raising it as a problem because it was raised as one of the reasons why
> a group of prominent engineers want to propose changes to SMTP, MIME and
> S/MIME outside of IETF process.

Sure they can. Heck, I even redesigned DNS in my lab but that does not
means anyone else should care about it.

> It is certainly not the most important, but it is the easiest one to fix.

Once again, I disagree with you. It isn't as simple as it you think.

> I would have thought that the near certainty that the Internet standards are
> going to be forked would be a concern to this group. Obviously I was wrong,
> you would all much rather run a debating society with no influence where you
> are in absolute control.

While there is a issue with the "balance of power" within IETF, the
ultimate power still lies in the users to adopt the standard in IETF.
NOTHING in the current process prevents industry to adopt or user
dropping IETF standards.

The fact they still doing using the technology suggest that IETF must be
doing something right. Of course, that does not means everything is "right".

-James Seng