Fixed font v multiple fonts

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Jul 10 19:20:39 CEST 2003

--On torsdag, juli 10, 2003 07:35:02 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker at verisign.com> wrote:

> Lars does not have the right to impose his decision on me.
>
> As for rough consensus, the PROBLEM I am identifying is that there is
> simply no forum where the majority of the membership can give their views
> on the matter.

The closest thing we have is the IETF plenary. And it's been consistently
*against* any particular proposed change to document formast. If you don't
want to respect that - your choice.

> I am raising it as a problem because it was raised as one of the reasons
> why a group of prominent engineers want to propose changes to SMTP, MIME
> and S/MIME outside of IETF process.
>
> It is certainly not the most important, but it is the easiest one to fix.

As you've seen - that's probably not true (that it's easy to fix).

> I would have thought that the near certainty that the Internet standards
> are going to be forked would be a concern to this group. Obviously I was
> wrong, you would all much rather run a debating society with no influence
> where you are in absolute control.

As in open source, the power to fork is the last recourse against
inappropriate leadership. So I won't claim that they're wrong to do so.

But until they show their faces and say what they want, I cannot possibly
evaluate their desire to change these protocols.

[[Out of curiosity: What are the permitted submission formats to OASIS? Am
I allowed to use ASCII?
(their publication formats are PDF and HTML - a brief scan of their website
showed no policy document about input formats.) ]]

                 Harald