Fixed font v multiple fonts

Joel M. Halpern joel at stevecrocker.com
Thu Jul 10 11:22:14 CEST 2003

I have trouble seeing this as an issue about "who gets to decide".  There
have been repeated discussions of the question on the IETF list (where it
belongs).  Each time, it is quite clear that the rough consensus of the
community is to retain the current policy because its benefits exceed its
drawbacks.

Folks have noticed that there are some difficulties preparing documents, so
they have built tools to help.  There is a MS Word template.  There are a
set of tools that Marshall Rose has pulled together to allow one to prepare
the material in XML.

What is being said here is that the question of what the format for
documents should be is not a core problem.  Given that we have evidence of
significant discussion and community input on that topic, I do not see
evidence that this is a "top-down" problem, or even evidence that there is
a community perception of a top down order.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern