Complex topics (RE: Formalizing Design Teams) (fwd)

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Mon Jan 6 10:45:45 CET 2003

Actually, I think I agree with Dave's 18 month rule if you take the work
accomplished in that time period to depend on the complexity of the problem.

If the problem is simple, the solution requirements are well defined, and there
is no need for architectural work, then 18 months should be a sufficient amount
of time to define a protocol, get concensus on it, and have the IESG approve it.

If the problem is complex, the requirements are fuzzy, and there needs to be
some amount of architectural work, then 18 months should be enough time to
define the requirements, specify the architectural changes, and have the IESG
approve it. This work should also result in a subpartioning of the problem so
that one or more working groups can proceed on actually defining the protocol
for the solution.

            jak