Complex topics (RE: Formalizing Design Teams) (fwd)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Jan 6 07:30:02 CET 2003

Dave,

I want to be sure I understand what you are suggesting here.
Let me restate it:

	* With simple, well-defined, problems, the issues and
	possible solutions are sufficiently clear that
	solutions emerge quickly.  Unless a group gets bogged
	down in trying to choose between two equally
	satisfactory alternatives (and time pressure to make
	_some_ decision is likely to be fairly helpful with
	that), they are likely to produce quick and
	satisfactory results.

	* Complex problems are harder than simple ones.  With
	harder problems comes a greater risk of things taking
	a long time, and even of failure.

	* Failures are bad, hence we should avoid ever trying
	to work a complex problem.  Or, of course, we can just
	ignore all of the issues and tradeoffs that make the
	complex problems complex, solve the easy problem that
	results, and declare ourselves wildly successful.

Does that about cover it?   Do you think we would have IP,
even IPv4, if we had adopted that model?

regards,
    john

--On Sunday, 05 January, 2003 14:48 -0800 Dave Crocker