A question about the role of the IESG

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Mon Jan 6 16:20:10 CET 2003

Jonne,

I thought that 3GPP was an ETSI activity, ultimately under the ETSI
management structure, but maybe I am wrong.

As far as the IETF goes, the authority used to belong to the IAB, and
was given to the IAB by the people who funded the ARPANET and the early
Internet. Then there was a popular rebellion in 1992, and the IETF
decided to give its authority to the IESG as a result. That's when the
current nominating process for the IESG and IAB was invented; it's the
IETF community that puts the IESG in place, and agrees to accept its
authority.

I don't see how you can have an SDO without a management structure.
Ours happens to be our very own IESG, but we also run with a very
light staff, which is not the case in the ETSI world.

   Brian