Complex topics (RE: Formalizing Design Teams) (fwd)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Fri Jan 3 07:56:31 CET 2003

I'd like to forward this thread from the wgchairs mailing list into the
more open forum..... comments?

                         Harald

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: torsdag, januar 02, 2003 08:55:21 +0100
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: tony@tndh.net
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Complex topics (RE: Formalizing Design Teams)

Happy new year everyone!
I just wanted to pick up on this thread from before Christmas....

it seems that we have different sets of problems:

- they're small, isolated, and we understand how to solve them: a short
focused IETF WG is the most likely answer - we don't understand how to
attack the problem: an IRTF WG, or "waiting until the research is done",
may be the answer - we aren't sure how to solve the problem, or don't know
how big the problem is, or we're not sure how it interacts with other
things: We tend to create some mechanism that doesn't quite fit with our
defined structure.

The mechanisms include long-lived WGs (IPv6), ad-hoc or new areas (SNMP,
SubIP, IPv6), WG "clusters" (LDAPEXT/LDAPBIS/LDUP, DNSEXT/DNSOPS,
SIP/SIPPING/SIMPLE), non-area directorates (Wireless, DNS) and more.

We the IETF might want to think about whether we want to have formal
constructs that fit better into this space than "areas" or "WGs".

But then again, this discussion probably belongs on problem-statement;
wgchairs is not an open list....

                    Harald