Complex topics (RE: Formalizing Design Teams) (fwd)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Jan 5 14:48:18 CET 2003

Harald,

Harald> We the IETF might want to think about whether we want to have formal
Harald> constructs that fit better into this space than "areas" or "WGs".

What are good examples of the IETF's working well on complex topics?

"Working well" means that we produced good quality specifications, in a
timely fashion and with strong market use of the specifications.

"Strong market use" means that a large fraction of the potential user base
has adopted the specifications and use them.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any success stories, in spite of our having
tackled a number of such complex topics.

IPv6 is a long way from demonstrating success. IPsec is claimed by some to
be a success, but my impression is that its market penetration is pretty
small. And neither were delivered in a very timely fashion.

My thought is that we would do better to focus on improving our efforts for
tasks for which we have a demonstrated track record of effectiveness, namely
near-term, immediate-utility,discrete functions..

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:dhc at dcrocker.net>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850