Danger to the Net? (Re: My thoughts about theproblems of theIETF)

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Tue Apr 22 14:45:46 CEST 2003

That's another problem and that is many of the consistent contributors
(and on this list I will note) have only so many hours in a day.  After
3-5 very focused subjects as active WG member diminishing return can set
in.  My point is we need to extend our need to new members or ones who
are focused but not in reviewer or leadership roles (directly or
indirectly).  We have the Tao of the IETF and Getting to Know the IETF
type sessions on Sundays but maybe we need to mentor more folks in some
way that is politically correct without coming off as superior or
whatever.  Often just an offer will be enough. But we need new blood to
help fix some of these problems not the same old blood.  I get a lot of
mail from people I don't know that could help be reviewers so as we
nominate folks for nomcom we might want to think about that for reviewer
process.

That being said I suggest so we don't bottleneck that it be a Chair+AD
effort not IESG keeping the management of such a process close to where
the work will get done and not create higher level of approval process.

But lets get new people engaged and sell them on the opportunity in some
way.

/jim