My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Juergen Schoenwaelder schoenw at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Tue Apr 22 20:17:25 CEST 2003

Jim> I agree 100%.  But being an expert and not attending meetings is
Jim> not good is all I should have said and been more clear.

Jim> But there is a difference between one who comes to meetings and
Jim> is engaged and clueful and those who are engaged and clueful who
Jim> do not come to meetings.  Coming to meetings is a demonstration
Jim> of commitment and why we have this rule for nomcom process too.

While I see your reasoning, I have to remind you that making overseas
trips for just one or two working group meetings with a total of 5-6
meeting hours is quite some financial and time investment. Such trips
to IETF meetings in my view only pay off if you can either contribute
to multiple working groups or if a particular working group is doing
serious work outside the working group meeting.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		International University Bremen
Phone: +49 421 200 3587		P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany