My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Eric Rosen erosen at cisco.com
Thu Apr 17 11:30:05 CEST 2003

Brian> In  terms of fairness,  I think  that is  exactly why  we put  in the
Brian> checks  and balances  that exist  in the  appeals, NomCom  and recall
Brian> processes.

You are greatly  overestimating the efficacy of the  appeals process.  It is
possible for  an AD (or  the IESG  as a whole)  to make decisions  which are
arbitrary, capricious, ignorant, prejudiced,or just blatantly political, and
as long  as there  is no  formal violation of  process, there  is no  way to
appeal.

The appeals  process works better  at the lower  levels, it does seem  to be
possible to appeal a WG chair's abuse  of power by complaining to the AD, at
least as long as the abuse of power is not supported by the AD.