IAB issues

James Kempf kempf@docomolabs-usa.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:43:11 -0800

Avri,

The difficult process issue here is that the IESG controls the technical agenda,
as Ran mentioned, so IAB really needs to depend on them to tell us when to get
involved. IAB members pretty much can't simply wade into a technical discussion
as IAB members They of course can as WG members or WG chairs, which some of us
are, but then other WG members can quibble with them just as they would any
other WG member. WG members can't quibble with an AD: if they say something is
missing or wrong, then it must be put in or removed; otherwise, the document
doesn't go to RFC.

What typically happens as a result is that review of "small" architecure - the
kinds of architectural discussions that result in "framework" documents from
particular WGs - is done through the WG Last Call/IESG review process without
any official IAB involvement. Because the WG is focussed on their specific
problem, it is only after the document gets to the IESG that the overall fit
with the rest of the Internet architecture is considered. That contributes to
the IESG workload, and occasionally, problems are overlooked in the crush of
reviews.

The kinds of architectural issues that IAB typically gets called in on is where
there is great controversy about a "big" architectural issue, such as OPES or
internationalizing DNS. The IAB can be quite helpful in these cases, because it
is seen as a neutral party with some amount of architectural clue.

As for liasons, the fact is that IAB basically votes on whether liasons should
be set up, but who actually does the liasing is another matter. The ADs are more
and more taking on important technical liasons, such as 3GPP, because, again,
they control the technical agenda so they are in a position to get action on
techical issues that arise out of the liasing, though there are some IAB members
who are liasons to nontechnical groups. Again, this contributes to an increase
in AD workload because liasons are becoming more and more important as outside
standardization groups come to depend on IETF for their basic technology.

                    jak