IETF problem pinpointing - the followup

RJ Atkinson rja@extremenetworks.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:42:41 -0500

On Tuesday, Nov 5, 2002, at 08:10 America/Montreal, Harald Tveit
Alvestrand wrote:
> So the questions for this list is:
>
> - Do you think this plan sounds sensible?

	Sounds fine as a starting point.

> - What are the issues we want raised during the problem-session?

Not sure.  Candidates include:
	- lengthy time needed to develop any spec (and getting longer)
		- deployed Internet runs on Internet-Drafts and Proposed Standards
		- few Proposed Standards ever advance beyond that point
	- current IETF standards process too cumbersome
	   - my own idea would be to delete the "Draft Standard" level,
		and collapse the system into 2 levels (still requiring
		interoperability demonstration before full Standard) to
		give some incentive to folks to move specs beyond PS.
	- the special problems advancing MIB specs, discussed at some length
		during the IAB NM Workshop last June
	- need to be firmer in saying "not here" to proposals for new work
		- maybe this means IETF needs a more clearly defined scope of
responsibility ?
		- accepting everything (or most things) leads us in the current
		  direction where lots of resources get spread too thin.

> - Who should present them?

Preferably folks who are NOT on the IAB or IESG.  Folks perceived as
insiders
or having possible interest in the current setup are not the best
choice for this.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com