IETF problem pinpointing - the followup

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:10:30 +0100

It's been a very interesting debate on the wgchairs list this week.

But if we want to get something sensible ready for Thursday of 2 weeks from
now, a 200-member mailing list is not the optimal venue.

I've taken the list of people who volunteered to help and created a mailing
list for them - "problem-statement@alvestrand.no".
(you should all get 2 copies of this message. Apologies for that - but most
of us have spam filters for mail not addressed to us....you will have to
adjust these for the new list, which is why you get a copy that way too).

The plan, so far as we have gotten, is to give a presentation at the IESG
plenary:

- an introduction, by me, saying "Here is the current state of the IETF,
here's what I think we've been good at, here's what I think we've improved,
here's what I think needs work"

- a series of 4 or 5 "problem statements", each focusing on one or two
important issues, and NOT overlapping, given by different people, who each
spend 4-8 minutes talking.
(Slides present beforehand - no switching laptops!)

- a summary (me again) saying "those are some perspectives, now what do we
do next?"

Then it's open mike time.

The point of the presentation format (seen as theater) is:

- to show that the IETF leadership (represented by me) is aware of the need
for change, and wants to get the ball rolling
- to show that the IETF community is THE central part of the effort, and
must be depended on to both formulate the problems and find the solutions

So the questions for this list is:

- Do you think this plan sounds sensible?
- What are the issues we want raised during the problem-session?
- Who should present them?

My next action item is to attempt a summary on the wgchairs list. Rushing
in where angels fear to tread....

Thanks for volunteering, all of you!

                   Harald