Info/exptl RFCs [Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Pete Resnick presnick@qualcomm.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:36:19 -0600

On 12/12/02 at 8:40 PM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>if you are proposing that the RFC Editor does substantial review
>work on documents outside the IETF process, you also need to propose
>the source of funding for that work.

The RFC Editor is *already* doing substantial review work on
documents outside the IETF process. Unfortunately for the IETF, to
accomplish this, the RFC Editor has chosen to use the (already
overburdened) IESG to do a full technical review of these documents
during its "ensure that its not circumventing the standards process"
vetting. This is not what is supposed to happen according to 2026
section 4.2.3:

>The RFC Editor is expected to exercise his or her judgment
>concerning the editorial suitability of a document for publication
>with Experimental or Informational status, and may refuse to publish
>a document which, in the expert opinion of the RFC Editor, is
>unrelated to Internet activity or falls below the technical and/or
>editorial standard for RFCs.

If you don't think the RFC Editor can do the above because of its
current funding situation, then change 2026 to reflect the current
reality. My guess is that you will not find consensus in the IETF to
do so since it means officially giving the responsibility to the
IESG. However, it's also possible that the RFC Editor can get a
different set of volunteers (other than the IESG) to do the technical
review required by 2026 section 4.2.3. Alternatively, the RFC Editor
can simply stop accepting submissions from other than the IESG. Not
only will that require a change to 2026, but I think it likely that
it will not make people in the IAB and IRTF any happier.

In any case, my point is still that the IESG ought not be the ones
doing the full technical review of documents that 2026 specifically
says should be done by the RFC Editor.
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick@qualcomm.com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102