Info/exptl RFCs [Re: Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking)

Fred Baker fred@cisco.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:54:17 -0800

Actually, the reason the IESG is reviewing them is a combination of review
and process review. The RFC Editor's office routinely decides to not
publish documents without other input; when the RFC Editor thinks they
might publish one, they run it by the IESG in case there are process
end-runs (people bypassing a working group in an apparent attempt to jump a
market or to avoid having to work out a consensus), and for whatever other
comments the IESG might have.

In such cases, the IESG is not reviewing outside the IETF process per se,
but ensuring that the documents being published are in fact outside the
process.