Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Margaret Wasserman mrw@windriver.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:37:48 -0500

> > The IESG has repeatedly been pointed to, by IESG members as well
> > as others, as a bottleneck in our processes and as a scaling
> > problem for the IETF.
>
>yup.  it's where the buck stops.  having a place where the buck
>stops is sure to be a bottleneck.  the real question is evaluation
>of the costs and benefits of having that broad-spectrum and deep
>review.  having seen the work and timeliness of other sdos which do
>not, you may guess why i put most of my sdo energy into the ietf.

You certainly have much more experience with other standards
organizations than I do.  In fact, you probably even know what
"SDO" stands for :-).

I am not sure what problems are endemic to all standards
organizations, and which are specific to the IETF.  Some
perspective on this topic has been offered recently on the WG
chairs list, but I guess I will need to actually participate
in another standards body at some point to learn for myself.

Just to make something clear --

I actually like and respect all of the IESG members that I
have worked with.  I have been writing to this list, offering
thoughts and making suggestions, because I would like to help
make things better...

It wasn't my intention to offend you or any other members of
the IESG, but I guess I'm just not very good at engaging in
constructive criticism without offending people and/or eliciting
a defensive reaction.

Sorry,
Margaret