Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald@alvestrand.no
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:43:26 +0100

--On tirsdag, desember 10, 2002 15:37:37 +0200 john.loughney@nokia.com
wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
>> > Who do you think equates INFO with STANDARDs?  Internally to the
>> > IETF or external to the IETF?  I have heard various IESG members
>> > worry about this, but I have not heard anyone outside of the IETF
>> > who thinks this way.
>>
>> just search google for "RFC 2547 standard" :-(
>> ok, there's controversy of whether it SHOULD have been a
>> standard. But it isn't.
>
> I only got 2 hits (using quotations) ...  but seriously, is there real
> concern  that INFORMATIONAL documents are generally misunderstood by the
> industry / community outside of the IETF?  Are other SDOs confused by
> INFORMATIONAL docs?

if you don't quote the whole thing, you get 1910 hits.
many of which clearly indicate that RFC 2547 is considered a standard by
the writer.

I don't know if other SDOs are confused. The marketplace certainly seems to
be.

               Harald