Longer or more meetings?

Harrington, David dbh@enterasys.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:39:19 -0500

Hi,

Maybe we should consider distributed tele/video conferences.

Many companies have started using teleconferences and video conferences =
as an alternative to face-to-face meetings, have the infrastructure in =
place to support these conference types, and either would be willing to =
sponsor a one or two day conference, or would be willing to for a small =
fee make their equipment available for the conference. Many companies' =
conference rooms also have white boards and projectors and other =
amenities that could help during the meeting.

By getting a number of geographically distributed conference "cells" =
connected, some travel costs might be mitigated for many, and the costs =
of sponsorship would be shared. Jabber use might also help for interims =
to reduce the exclusionary need to travel.

There is a potential benefit for this approach beyond travel costs.

We are constantly faced with the tradeoffs between small focused design =
groups and open process. Using a distributed conferencing approach to =
interims might permit us to leverage the benefits of each approach while =
balancing the tradeoffs and controlling costs.

With a distributed conference, it would be possible to, say, start the =
day with a four-hour open conference to identify the issues that needed =
resolving, and then to have each of the distributed teams assigned to =
independently research solutions for targeted issues (for maybe four =
hours offline), and then resume a four-hour open conference to discuss =
and try to integrate the proposals. For contentious issues, multiple =
design teams could work independently to develop proposals for =
consideration by the whole team. The use of distributed design teams =
within the conference promotes focused development and parallelism.

dbh