Longer or more meetings?

Jari Arkko jari.arkko@piuha.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:07:13 +0200

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Just to echo Raj - we seem to be over the worst of it, but I can remember attending working group meetings at several recent IETFs with 15-20 presentations in 120/150 minutes, where it seemed like every presentation ended with a slide that recommended that the draft be adopted as a working group deliverable, and we never had time for discussion - and sometimes, not even time for questions - because we only had 5-10 minutes for each topic, including presentation time.

Yes. It seems like most groups or chairs have now learned to concentrate more on the
essential items. I also like the style e.g. in the SIP WG where presentations titles are
of the form 'Issues in XXX'. This sends the message that one shouldn't be presenting
one's new and wonderful protocol idea. Rather, the idea is to have a high-bandwidth
discussion of the controversial or open questions around a subject that has already
been documented in a draft, read by many folks, and discussed on the list.

Jari