how to effect change?

Randy Bush randy@psg.com
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 20:23:46 -0800

<pontification>

this may come as a surprise to some, but i think the iesg and iab
members are among those most desirous of organizational change.
but given a moment's thought (and a reading of the wgchairs list,
among others) you would realize that we are some of those who most
feel the pressures and impedance mismatches of the current process
and culture.

in addition, it may not have been as clearly stated as it might,
but the iesg and iab have very consciously decided not to take the
lead in analysing problems and causes and then propose solutions.
though, of course we are all thinking about them and joining the
fray.  but we very consciously don't want this to be a 'top down'
approach.  so perhaps we have been more reticent and/or reluctant
than some might expect or even like.  sorry.  as in may things, we
could be wrong about this one too.

and, perhaps, as we have been painfully aware of the creakiness of
the organization more or longer than most, we may seem in a bit
less of a rush than others.  some of this also may come from being
willing to admit we don't really have the perfect clue as to the
problem priorities and the full set of inter-relations of possible
approaches to change.

additionally, one of the things i have learned far later in life
than i might have is that, just because the light bulb has gone off
in my head, it does not mean that everyone else will suddenly see
the same light and say "wow!  that's what we need" and change next
week.  much to my frequent frustration, it usually seems to take on
the order of whole bleeding' year to get a serious course change in
a complex wg, let alone the entire ietf.  possibly this is one of
our problems.  but if it has taught me a bit of patience, it can't
be all that bad :-).

i have learned a bit here so far.  i hope to learn a lot more.  and
i hope that we can mutually discover and discuss some serious
problems and changes in our organization.  i certainly have my pet
peeves, as you undoubtedly do too.  but, as in the 'outside world',
tolerance for and understanding of legitimate differences is very
important.  thanks for your patience, understanding, and input to
this constructive process.  and sorry to have blabbered on.

randy